Led by philanthropist Sampson Simson, nine men gathered in 1852 with a vision of a Jews’ Hospital, a place where Jewish people who were unable to provide for themselves during their illnesses.
As the population of New York City swelled to almost unmanageable numbers the doctors and experts found themselves treating more than just the Jewish population of New York. They were becoming a necessary part of the community and so, in 1866, they changed their name to the Mount Sinai Hospital and moved uptown.
The hospital found itself at the center of the medical world. Many new discoveries were made, including advanced in blood transfusions and the first endotracheal anesthesia apparatus, and the hospital expanded in kind.
Mount Sinai was named to the U.S. News and World Report America’s Best Hospitals Honor Roll, a designation only offered to 17 hospitals nationwide. It remains a top research, specialty and teaching hospital partially due to a dedicated group of benefactors including Leon Black, who donated $10 million to create the Black Family Stem Cell Institute, Frederick Klingenstein and wife Sharon Klingenstein who donated $75 million, the largest single gift in the history of Mount Sinai, to establish an institute for scientific research and create a scholarship fund, and Henry Kravis and wife Marie-Josée Kravis, who donated $15 million to establish the “Center for Cardiovascular Health” as well as funding a professorship.