Lots of celebrities donate to charity. Sometimes we hear about it, and other times we don’t. Depending on the star, they might make it public to get good press or encourage others to follow their lead; but they might also like donating in privacy, preferring to stay behind the scenes once in a while.
So who are some of the world’s most charitable celebrities? According to Forbes, the top eight most generous stars have donated more than $40 million:
- Jami Gertz (actress) and husband Antony Ressler—$10,569,002 to the Ressler Gertz Foundation, the LA County Museum of Art, and Cedar Sinai Medical Center
- Herb Alpert (musician) —$9,104,829 to the Herb Alpert Foundation
- Mel Gibson (actor) —$6,853,020 to the A.P. Reilly Foundation
- George Lucas (director, producer, writer) —$4,250,000 to the Lucas Film Foundation and The George Lucas Educational Foundation
- Nora Roberts (writer) —$3,000,000 to the Nora Roberts Foundation
- Ndamukong Suh (NFL Player) —$2,600,000 to the Nebraska University athletic department and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Engineering
- Lance Berkman (MLB Player) and wife Cara—$2,412,245 to The Lord’s Fund, Josiah Venture, and Children’s Cup
- Meryl Streep (actress) and husband Donald Gummer—$2,000,000 to Silver Mountain Foundation for the Arts, Oxfam America, Partners in Health, and Vassar College.
Forbes’ list goes on to number the top 30 most generous celebrities, and there are certainly more familiar names on the list (they are celebrities, after all). In total, the top 30 donated almost $64 million to charitable causes. And whether for good PR or out of the goodness of their hearts, that money has gone on to do some great deeds.