NASCAR CEO Brian France and his wife, Amy, have set the pace for the sport’s philanthropy. With a recent million-dollar partnership with Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital of New York at NYU Langone, the family has helped many children who otherwise may not have received medical care.
“We don’t charge patients for our services, so we rely on philanthropies, corporate, and personal support,” Chris Brown, Director of Therapeutic Recreation/Child Life at Hassenfeld, told Fox News. “This was our first gift that has allowed us to expand our programming for patients. We are really grateful for the ability to work with [the NASCAR Foundation] to enhance and expand our relationship with kids.”
The donation came through the NASCAR Foundation’s Speediatrics Children’s Fund, which was founded by France’s mother, the late Betty Jane France. In its first decade, the organization gave $30 million to help a million children in need.
The Frances’ donation will help fund additional positions in the hospital’s child-life program, which makes sure kids have access to play, arts and crafts, and holiday parties throughout the year. The child-life program also helps to teach coping and relaxation skills.
But the Frances aren’t the only generous NASCAR celebrities. Many drivers have their own personal foundations as well. Here are some of them.
- Kyle Busch’s the Kyle Busch Foundation empowers children, families, and communities to overcome hardship by providing essential tools to allow them to live their best lives possible by helping to meet their day-to-day needs while they learn and challenge themselves.
- NASCAR superstar Dale Earnhardt Jr. operates the Dale Jr. Foundation, a charity dedicated to giving underprivileged individuals the resources to improve their confidence and education.
- Denny Hamlin founded the Denny Hamlin Foundation, which raises awareness and funds for the specific needs of children with cystic fibrosis, including research, treatment advances, and overall quality of life care.
- The Jimmie Johnson Foundation focuses on funding K-12 public education, primarily through the Jimmie Johnson Foundation Champions Grant Program. Grants through this program are awarded to school projects in California, Oklahoma, and North Carolina, where the Johnsons grew up and currently reside.
- Kasey Kahne’s Kasey Kahne Foundation raises awareness and funds for charities supporting chronically ill children and their families.
- Brad Keselowski’s Checkered Flag Foundation strives to support those who have sacrificed for the United States, including military members, first responders, and others.
- The Joey Logano Foundation inspires and assembles the NASCAR community to assist those across the U.S. who are in need of a second chance due to natural or human disaster.
- Ryan Newman supports Rescue Ranch, which promotes humane education by focusing on rescuing on a fundamental level through hands-on learning and care for animals.
- Elliott Sadler founded the Hermie & Elliott Sadler Foundation, dedicated to raising autism awareness and promoting research for a cure while also supporting initiatives that improve educational opportunities for children and their families.
- Martin Truex Jr.’s The Martin Truex Jr. Foundation raises awareness and funding for childhood and ovarian cancer initiatives.