Overhead Ratios Are A Persistent Problem for Nonprofits

In Canada, it appears that the acceptable limit of how much a charity can spend on overhead is about 15 percent, leaving a full 85 percent to be spent on its mission. While that might sound like a pretty solid distribution—after all the point is to achieve that mission—the goal of a 15-percent overhead can […]

American Civil Liberties Union: Protecting Americans’ Rights

The American Civil Liberties Union is an incredibly important organization in the U.S. that protects the rights that are enshrined in the Constitution. It was founded in the years after World War I to protect the civil liberties of those who were being rounded up and persecuted in the name of the fear of Communism. […]

Will Amber Heard’s $7 Million Donation End Up Hurting Her?

Celebrities Amber Heard and Johnny Depp recently settled their divorce, and Heard received a $7 million settlement. She subsequently donated all of that to charity—half to the American Civil Liberties Union and half to the Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles. She specified that the money for the ACLU should go toward preventing violence against women. […]

Securing Nonprofit Sites Against Terrorism

Since 2005, FEMA has been offering grants to qualified non-profits to assist them with security measures. In the wake of two mass shootings at non-profits within five days, Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, California, it is expected that the number of applicants will increase next year. […]

“Effective Altruism” is Just Rich People Donating Money

According to a recent study on Public International Radio, the concept of “effective altruism” is the next big thing in charity. A former Princeton student named Matt Wage had the brilliant idea that, instead of working for non-profits or volunteering, he could do a lot more good if he landed a Wall Street job and […]